Parents and teachers are partners in educating children in and out of school. On September 6, our PYP Indonesian Department Team conducted a session on ‘Language in the Primary Years Programme’. Around 100 parents, including fathers, attended the session held at BINUS SCHOOL Simprug, South Jakarta.
Early Years and Elementary parents attending the Language in the PYP session at BINUS SCHOOL Simprug.
The topics of the session for our Early Years and Elementary parents included:
- The importance of mother tongue.
- Indonesian language curriculum.
- Indonesian language teaching strategies.
- School language policy.
During the session, we asked parents to come up with ways they can support their children’s mother tongue. Some of their suggestions are as follows:
- Speak to their children in their mother tongue.
- Read books and tell stories in their mother tongue.
- Encourage children to listen to songs or watch videos in their mother tongue.
- Expose children to places where they can speak their mother tongue.
- Play games with children using their mother tongue.
Parents recognized that supporting mother tongue affirms the children’s identity; helps students achieve cognitive potential; and creates bilingual, biliterate, and bicultural students.
During the session, we discussed the Indonesian language curriculum in line with the framework of learning language, learning through language, and learning about language.
We also communicated our school language policy to the parents. This is in reference to Standard B1.5a which states that “the school has developed and implements a language policy consistent with IB expectations”.
By Ratuu Harida
PYP Indonesian Department Head
BINUS SCHOOL Simprug