new school year
The first week at the beginning of the school year is a commencement period, a period to get to know the immediate surrounding and Cikal community . Back from a long holiday, students are all excited to see what’s new in Sekolah Cikal Cilandak. The building, new classroom setup, new teachers (as they are now in different level), new classmates, and new things to learn and explore.
Usually, teachers take students to go around the school, as a way to get to know the environment and people around the school. This year, grade 3 and 4 students are taking their treasure hunt activity to the next level. They use iPads to scan the QR codes. These codes are posted on the walls, each one contain clues or instructions, such as; “Rhythm, beat, is played in here, loud and clear” or “ you need to find the PYP Coordinator”. When they found the answer, they will see another QR code to scan for the next problem or questions to solve.
In short, we turn school tour activity into PokemonGO-like game, where the person who play it has to scan the surrounding, not by using augmented reality apps, just QR code reader and print-out QR codes posted the school’s walls.
QR code can be used in the classroom as well, it makes teaching and learning more fun, engaging and challenging. Here are some ideas:
- Replacing boring written test or quiz into mobile and more interactive quiz activity. Create the quiz in Google Form, generate the link into QR code, print it on paper, and post it on classroom wall. You can include QR codes in bus stop activity, each QR code stands for one question /problem. Students can only move to the next station once they managed to solve the problem.
- Differentiate Task. For example you are teaching about governmental system and you have some videos and articles for your students to go through. Divide the class into several groups, have them watch different videos or read different articles. Post the link into QR codes in several learning stations, have them discuss it in groups.
- Treasure Hunt game/ Pokemonlike game. Use the QR code as clues for playing treasure hunt game. Insert links of riddles or clues that can lead the way to the next station. Just like we did for school tour activity in Sekolah Cikal.
Here is how to make a QR code:
- Copy the link of the file, video, website or social media page that you want to share.
- Open QR code generator such as kaywa.com, mobile-barcodes.com or beetagg.com, or just simply googled QR generator and it will display many webpage of QR generators.
- Once you received a png or jpeg image from the QR generator, you can share or print your QR code.
The children’s face beamed with excitement as they went around the school looking for another QR code to be found. Occasionally we heard them saying something like, “This is awesome!” and “I like this activity” and “This is the best treasure hunt ever!”.
The use of technology has definitely adds zest in the learning process. Not only for the children, but for the teachers as well. We come to realize, that when handled well it can be a tool to ignite further learning and create ideas.
Marsaria Primadona (Pima)
Apple Distinguished Educator
Sekolah Cikal Cilandak