STUCO stands for Students’ Council in Sekolah Ciputra. This is a group of students who’s willing to organize children’s action within the school. Their motto is “from students, by students and for students.” In this organisation, students learn how to organise school events by collecting students’ ideas, planning and facilitating the events, and dedicating the events to all students in the school. There are some teacher advisers who guide them in organising these events. By being the STUCO officers, students are learning and applying their leadership skills in organization, communication and teamwork to make the events successful.
As a student organisation, STUCO has an official structure. There’s a President who leads along with a Vice President. accompanied by more than 20 students as STUCO members or officers. They are a group of PYP 4, 5 and 6 students who organize activities and initiatives for their fellow students. Student Council is run by students for students to students. It is also responsible for providing a variety of services to students. Students can get involved in its management through committees, councils and general meetings, or become one of its elected officers.
The Vision of STUCO
Student Council has an open-door admission policy and is committed to the cultural growth of each student regardless of race, color, gender, disability, religion, national origin and age. It strives to promote development and learning through a wide variety of educational programs.
The Mission of STUCO
To provide students an opportunity to promote positive school initiatives in order to strengthen their leadership skills by initiating, promoting and supporting school events.
The Purposes of STUCO
- Develop within individuals a sense of responsibility in order to model appropriate behaviors reflecting the PYP profile and attitudes.
- Represent students’ feelings, opinions and interests
- Give students a share in decision making
- Help develop potential leaders by giving them leadership opportunities
- Encourage students to promote and develop school activities
“LEARNING IS MORE WHEN ONE DOES MORE, SEIZES THE DAY AND MAKES A DIFFERENCE”
A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way (John C. Maxwell). Do our students understand the definition of Leadership? For them, it’s hard to define what is the meaning of leadership. When we come to it, maybe leadership is part of everyone. It can be our brother or sister, our friend, our parents, or even our teacher. And yes, even a student can be a leader! They will never know they are capable of leading until someone puts them in a leadership position, teaches them how to get things done, and brings a team along with them.
These are some reasons why leadership is important for our students:
- Focus. Our students have lots of chances to do many things in their lives. They may do homeworks spend time with friends, have hobbies, or just hang around. Leadership skills will allow them to focus on what’s important. By joining STUCO they will manage their time as there will be lots of things to be done. They will know what needs to happen to make everything done.
- Courage/Risk taking. As a student the scariest thing is starting something new. Leadership skills will give students a dose of courage. They have to make decisions as they were elected as the ones who have to decide. In STUCO students will teach each other how to make decisions through team exercises. Be courageous. Start a movement.
- Planning. Joining STUCO means students are prepared for planning and facilitating events throughout the entire academic year. They will learn how to plan the program, delegate tasks, and bring everyone together for a successful event.
- Action. Taking action is the mark of a leader. Students who know what they are looking for, know what needs to be done and simply get on with doing it are the real leaders. They will inspire other students to find out their potential and it’s the way students help each other.
- Teamwork. As an organisation, STUCO has the answer on how to teach students how to work as a team. They will try to figure out a problem. Good teamwork comes from having amazing leadership skills, especially when it comes from students.
To make sure that the school accommodates this important learning experience, to prepare the future leaders among our students we have established the STUCO Elections Commission to prepare for the elections. This forum comprises class representatives who organize the process. STUCO Elections ran smoothly this year. The process started in August 7th 2017. They’ve worked cooperatively and enthusiastically to select, to organize the election and to present the elected President and Vice President to the school community. There were five pairs of candidates who ran for President and Vice President this school year. After the first round of interviews, three pairs of candidates went to the final round. They are:
- Azzizul Hakim & Shun Sato
- Venezia Ferrari Hartono & Regina Felicia Hadiputri
- Angelo Humphrey Lienardi & Aditya Raju Rajan
On August 23rd 2017, after the second round of interviews, a few days of campaigning and a final vote, STUCO Commissioners proudly announced that Azzizul Hakim & Shun Sato are the elected STUCO President and Vice President this academic year. Congratulations Azzizul and Shun Sato ! We’re looking forward to the leadership’s action you will bring to enrich our learning environment this school year.
By Carolina Seran, Mas Roro Anggraeni, Budi Wantoro, Catherina Laura